The most important thing for homeschool success is to mingle and socialize with other homeschooling families. Being a member of a support group allows you to share resources and information with them as well as to remind you that you are not alone in your home-teaching journey. Your county support groups can offer you families with common goals and interests to yours.
IMPORTANT:Note: Our information includes both Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups and Private School Satellite Programs (PSPs) formerly known as Independent Study Programs (ISPs).
What’s the difference?
The difference is that typically, the Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups are created by families for families to get together for social activities, such as park days, P.E. activities, organized classes, field trips and other “group” types of endeavors. Some require a general membership fee, but most do not. You can usually show up at a park day and meet the parents and children to see how you like the group.
PSPs or ISPs are private schools, usually small in enrollment, but schools nonetheless. Homeschooling families may enroll and pay tuition, in order to receive the administrative support of a school. This includes record-keeping of attendance, grades, testing and transcripts preparation.
To separate them, we have placed the letters PSP or ISP in the title of such schools.
- Classical Christian Home Educators – Classical education with a Christian focus in Roseville, serving Placer and Sacramento counties. Contact information:Email Sheri Atkinson.
- Homeschooling In Placer [HIP] – Serves Auburn area and nearby surrounding communities. Mutual support, outings, friendships. Contact information: Email Leslie Buchanan.
- Sacramento Area Field Trip & Info. [SAFTI] – Offers field trips, classes, park days and events of interest to homeschoolers. Any member may organize trips, and post events sponsored by other groups.
- Sacramento Area Homeschool InfoChat – This all-inclusive group is for sharing info, experiences, and tidbits about homeschooling & unschooling. Brag on your kids, get connected and more. Serving Northern California: Antelope, Auburn, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Davis, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, North Highlands, Humbolt, Placer, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento, Sutter, Woodland, Yuba, etc.
- Sierra Lighthouse Christian Support Group – Please join us if you are in the Placer County area! The core focus of our Group is worshiping, honoring and serving the Lord Jesus Christ, loving and supporting one another in our mutual homeschool families, and having lots of joy and fun in community! Please contact Mary Britton, firstname.lastname@example.org and join us!
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom – Free K-12 Teaching Resources
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom provides free K-12 teaching resources available for free downloading at LearnAboutAg.org (lesson plans, fact sheets, student newspapers and more). California educators can request print copies, shipped at no expense.
The Plant Science lesson plans (http://learnaboutag.org/resources/learn_plant.cfm) help students discover what plants need to grow through hands-on lessons and activities: Fun with the Plant Nutrient Team (K-3), What Do Plants Need to Grow? (2-4), Too Much? Too Little? (5-8), and Chemistry, Fertilizer, and the Environment (8-12). All resources are aligned to current California Standards. The organization also provides an annual teacher conference (July 14-15, 2017) and the Imagine this… Story Writing Contest for grades 3-8 (November 1 annual deadline). Learn more and request free resources at LearnAboutAg.org.