The most important thing for homeschool success is to mingle and socialize with other homeschooling families. Being a member of a support group allows you to share resources and information with them as well as to remind you that you are not alone in your home-teaching journey. Your county support groups can offer you families with common goals and interests to yours.
IMPORTANT:Note: Our information includes both Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups and Private School Satellite Programs (PSPs) formerly known as Independent Study Programs (ISPs).
What’s the difference?
The difference is that typically, the Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups are created by families for families to get together for social activities, such as park days, P.E. activities, organized classes, field trips and other “group” types of endeavors. Some require a general membership fee, but most do not. You can usually show up at a park day and meet the parents and children to see how you like the group.
PSPs or ISPs are private schools, usually small in enrollment, but schools nonetheless. Homeschooling families may enroll and pay tuition, in order to receive the administrative support of a school. This includes record-keeping of attendance, grades, testing and transcripts preparation.
To separate them, we have placed the letters PSP or ISP in the title of such schools.
- Classical Christian Home Educators – Classical education with a Christian focus in Roseville, serving Placer and Sacramento counties. Contact information:Email Sheri Atkinson.
- Folsom Homeschoolers – Folsom Homeschoolers is an all-age, all-inclusive group of homeschooling families in the Folsom area. The purpose of the group is to provide a network for area families for planning parkdays, field trips, classes, activities and offering in-person support. All homeschooling choices are welcome including public charter, private school, traditional, classical, eclectic and unschooling. Most activities will be Folsom based but homeschooling families from neighboring communities are welcome to join us.
- Homeschooling Cooperative of Sacramento – We are an all-inclusive group of Sacramento area homeschoolers who get together for field trips, classes, park days, and more. We serve Sacramento and all neighboring counties. Contact information: Email Lisa or call (916) 826-5749.
- Sacramento Area Field Trip & Info. [SAFTI] – Offers field trips, classes, park days and events of interest to homeschoolers. Any member may organize trips, and post events sponsored by other groups.
- Sacramento Area Homeschool InfoChat – This all-inclusive group is for sharing info, experiences, and tidbits about homeschooling & unschooling. Brag on your kids, get connected and more. Serving Northern California: Antelope, Auburn, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Davis, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, North Highlands, Humbolt, Placer, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento, Sutter, Woodland, Yuba, etc.
- Sacramento Area K-12 Users – A support group for Sacramento/Yolo/Placer area users of K-12 curriculum. Contact information: Call Sharon Fodor at (530) 662-9992.
- Sacramento Council of Parent Educators [SCOPE] – Christian perspective.SCOPE provides information, support, encouragement and training to private, independent home educators in the Sacramento area. Contact information: Call Sacramento Council of Parent Educators at (916) 464-0401.
- Sacramento Homeschool Meetup Group – For Christian homeschooling moms and their children. Offering Park Days, Field Trips, Art Co-op, Skating, Bowling, Teen Group, and more! Contact information: Email Shellie Collins.
- Sacramento Unschooling Network [SUN] – SUN provides a way for unschoolers/homeschoolers in the Sacramento area to build community, and share information support and inspiration about homeschooling. Huge Tuesday park days, the SUN SPOT-cool activities at our indoor space on Thursdays, Teen Dances, and other neat stuff are what you will find on our calendar- join us! Contact information: Email Bronwen Felesina or call (916) 455-7956, or Email Traci Trevino or call (916) 730-9478.
- Waldorf Inspired Sacramento Homeschoolers [W.I.S.H.] – Contact information:Email Sandi Russi or call (916) 455-2360.