The most important thing for homeschool success is to mingle and socialize with other homeschooling families. Being a member of a support group allows you to share resources and information with them as well as to remind you that you are not alone in your home-teaching journey. Your county support groups can offer you families with common goals and interests to yours.
IMPORTANT:Note: Our information includes both Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups and Private School Satellite Programs (PSPs) formerly known as Independent Study Programs (ISPs).
What’s the difference?
The difference is that typically, the Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups are created by families for families to get together for social activities, such as park days, P.E. activities, organized classes, field trips and other “group” types of endeavors. Some require a general membership fee, but most do not. You can usually show up at a park day and meet the parents and children to see how you like the group.
PSPs or ISPs are private schools, usually small in enrollment, but schools nonetheless. Homeschooling families may enroll and pay tuition, in order to receive the administrative support of a school. This includes record-keeping of attendance, grades, testing and transcripts preparation.
To separate them, we have placed the letters PSP or ISP in the title of such schools.
- Sacramento Area Homeschool InfoChat –http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sac_Area_HS_InfoChat/ This all-inclusive group is for sharing info, experiences, and tidbits about homeschooling & unschooling. Brag on your kids, get connected and more. Serving Northern California: Antelope, Auburn, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Davis, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, North Highlands, Humbolt, Placer, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento, Sutter, Woodland, Yuba, etc.
- The Yuba-Sutter Homeschool Meetup Group http://www.meetup.com/homeschool-532/ We are a homeschool support group meeting primarily in the Marysville and Yuba City area. To contact a member of the Organizing Team, please send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Challenge Charter High School http://www.ouhsd.org/cchs/index.htm Grades: 9-12 Counties Served: Butte, Glenn, and Yuba Phone: 530-538-2359
- Chico Country Day School http://www.chicocountryday.org/ Grades: K-8Counties Served: Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Plumas, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba. This is a school based on the belief that the family is the child’s first and most important teacher, and we look forward to working and learning and teaching with you. Phone: 530-895-2650
- Forest Charter School http://www.forestcharter.com/site/default.aspx?PageID=1Grades: K-12 Counties Served: Nevada, Placer, Sierra, and Yuba. Phone: 530-265-4823 Fax: 530-265-5037 Valerie Jones Resource Coordinator email@example.com. Forest Charter School tailors a personalized educational program for each student by utilizing a menu of resources including block classes, field trips, independent study, community, and family centered educational programs.
- Grass Valley Charter School http://www.grassvalleycharter.org/ Grades: Pre-K – 8 Counties Served: Nevada, Placer, Sierra and Yuba. Phone: 530-273-8723 Peggy Harris firstname.lastname@example.org. The Discovery Studies educational option is designed for students in kindergarten through eighth grade, offering caring support for home schoolers and their families. Discovery Studies is an educational option rich with choices. Students are offered many opportunities to meet their individual needs and learning styles. Parents create and oversee their child(ren)’s individual educational plan.
- Hearthstone School http://www.hearthstoneschool.net/ Grades: K-12 Counties Served: Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Plumas, Sutter, Tehama and Yuba. Looking for an exciting alternative to traditional classroom instruction? You’ve found it! Hearthstone School is a Kindergarten through 12th grade independent learning program, but we also offer so much more. Phone: 530-532-5848
- Horizon Charter School http://www.horizoncharterschools.org/ Grades: K-12 Counties Served: El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, and Yuba. Our staff is innovative and are always exploring ways that support students in both the classroom setting and in the home teaching environment. Phone: 916-408-5200 email@example.com
- Nevada City Home Study Charter School http://homestudy.ca.ncc.schoolinsites.com/ Grades K-8. Counties Served: Nevada, Placer, Sierra, and Yuba. Phone: 530-265-1885 Fax: 530-265-1889. The two, three, or four days of on-campus classes allow students to feel part of a school community, while providing important socialization opportunities. Class offerings include: Spanish, hands-on science, technology, art, drama, music, creative writing, math, history, ceramics at the Mud Hut, Bike Shop and now one extra Core/Class day a week. Family-oriented, educational field trips are incorporated throughout the school
- Plumas Charter School – http://www.plumascharterschool.org/ Grades K-12 Counties Served: Butte, Lassen, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Tehama, and Yuba. PCS was originally designed to serve the needs of the local home-schooling community, but in the school’s twelve-year history, it has evolved to serve a broader spectrum of students and families and now identifies itself as a Personalized Learning school. Phone: 888-509-4146 or Phone: 530-283-3851 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pivot Charter School, North Valley http://www.advancedacademics.com/pivot-north-valley-charter-school/index.html Grades 6-12 Counties Served: Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Plumas, Sutter, Tehama, and Yuba. phone: 877-544-1423
- South Sutter Charter School http://www.sscs.cc/ Grades: K-12 Counties Served: Butte, Colusa, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba. We commit to providing innovative public education environments for students, their parents and teachers by empowering them to collaboratively create learning opportunities which will develop responsible and contributing members of society. Phone: 1-800-979-4436 http://www.ieminc.org/contact_us.html
- Twin Ridges Home Study Charter School Grades: K-8 Counties Served: Nevada, Placer, Sierra, and Yuba http://www.twinridgeshomestudy.org/ (530) 478-1815 fax (530) 478-0266 RESOURCE COORD: Sherry Wray email@example.com The Twin Ridges Home Study program facilitates responsibility, compassion and self-discipline so that students can reach their fullest potential in academics, personal awareness, athletics and the arts. The school, in partnership with the parents, creates a climate in which students can become scholars, critical thinkers, effective problem solvers and lifelong learners.