IMPORTANT:Note: Our information includes both Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups and Private School Satellite Programs (PSPs) formerly known as Independent Study Programs (ISPs).
What’s the difference?
The difference is that typically, the Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups are created by families for families to get together for social activities, such as park days, P.E. activities, organized classes, field trips and other “group” types of endeavors. Some require a general membership fee, but most do not. You can usually show up at a park day and meet the parents and children to see how you like the group.
PSPs or ISPs are private schools, usually small in enrollment, but schools nonetheless. Homeschooling families may enroll and pay tuition, in order to receive the administrative support of a school. This includes record-keeping of attendance, grades, testing and transcripts preparation.
To separate them, we have placed the letters PSP or ISP in the title of such schools.
- Christian Home Educators of the Blythe Area [CHEBA] – A Christian support group welcoming all independent homeschoolers who file a Private School Affidavit, and anyone considering homeschooling. Members meet for classes, parent workshops, field trips, park days and annual events. Contact information:Email Debbie Judd or call (760) 922-3232.
- DragonTree Home Learners – This inclusive, diverse, non-directed support group meets weekly in El Dorado Park in Long Beach on Wednesday afternoons for play and conversation with kids of all ages from toddlers to teens. Founded as an unschooling support group, all homeschoolers are welcome. Our primary goal is to provide plenty of freedom for our children to develop their own games, make complex creations, explore new relationships, and develop close friendships. Meet for fun, discussion, support, occasional activities or field trips. Contact information: Email Karri Lewis.
- Faith Academy of Lake Arrowhead – We are a Christian ministry serving the inland and desert area of Southern California. Our ministry is to support the Christian family’s effort to home school their children. Contact information: Email Bill and Breta Norton or call (909) 337-9341.
- Homeschooling In Central Orange County [HSCOC] – Inclusive homeschool park day with all age groups represented. Contact information: Email Cheryl Ahia.
- Homeschooling in Orange County – Offers information, resources and support for homeschoolers throughout Orange County.
- Idyllwild Home Learners – An inclusive homeschool support group in the Idyllwild area. We embrace families of all religions and learning theories. Contact information: Email Andrea or call (951) 659-6088.
- OC Homeschool Events – This group is for events and activities that may be of interest to homeschooling families in and around Orange County. Everyone is permitted to post their findings or start a group to attend an event. There are so many great things to do here and this is a great group to get together enough people for a group discount.
- Orange County Considering Homechooling – A Christian support group with park days, monthly speakers, field trips. Contact information: Email Kathy or call (949) 916-6816.
- Rainbow Kids – Founded in 1985, this inclusive group is based in Orange County, CA. Members vary in homeschooling styles, religions, political views, family structures, and just about everything else. At present our children range in age from 1 to 17. We offer park days, theme days, field trips, support, and plenty of socializing. Contact information: Email Vicki Giansante.
- Riverside Area Home Learners [RAHL] – We offer friendly, homeschooling support to all families interested in home learning regardless of their religious views, political persuasion or educational philosophy. We believe that our group is enriched by the diversity of its members. RAHL offers weekly park days, theme days, discussion topics and field trips. Contact information: Email Riverside Area Home Learners.
- South County Kids – South Orange County, CA. An inclusive homeschool support group. We embrace diversity within our membership including cultural, religious, ethnic and homeschooling technique. South County Kids meets weekly at public parks, museums and community centers. Contact information: Email Clare Collins.
- South Orange County Home Schooling Group – Inclusive group. Weekly events. Contact information: Email Debi Richtman.
- The Hemet Christian Homeschool Group – Meet other homeschooling moms taking responsibility for educating their children at home in Hemet, Beaumont, Winchester, Temecula and surrounding areas. Share tips, discuss problems,ideas, plan field trips and have fun. Contact information: Call Thais Winzen at (951) 479-1421.
- West Orange County Homeschool Group [WESTOC-HS] – An inclusive, member-directed group. Families are diverse in their methods and styles of home education. Weekly park days and field trips.
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom – Free K-12 Teaching Resources
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom provides free K-12 teaching resources available for free downloading at LearnAboutAg.org (lesson plans, fact sheets, student newspapers and more). California educators can request print copies, shipped at no expense.
The Plant Science lesson plans (http://learnaboutag.org/resources/learn_plant.cfm) help students discover what plants need to grow through hands-on lessons and activities: Fun with the Plant Nutrient Team (K-3), What Do Plants Need to Grow? (2-4), Too Much? Too Little? (5-8), and Chemistry, Fertilizer, and the Environment (8-12). All resources are aligned to current California Standards. The organization also provides an annual teacher conference (July 14-15, 2017) and the Imagine this… Story Writing Contest for grades 3-8 (November 1 annual deadline). Learn more and request free resources at LearnAboutAg.org.
Excellence In Education (EIE) based in Monrovia, serves all of California as the largest homeschool book/game store & resource center in the state, offering an extensive array of products, services and guidance based on many years of experience. www.excellenceineducation.com/ Ph: (626) 821-0025
The Creation & Earth History Museum is dedicated to the biblical account of science & history, showcasing a literal 6-day creation and young earth. Our unique museum is one of 15 creation museums in the U.S. and the largest on the West Coast, including a 10,000 sq. foot facility with over 15 exhibits that declare the works of our Creator. Located 20 minutes east of downtown San Diego in Santee, CA, we are open 7 days a week and private guided tours are available. Plan a future visit by calling today 619.599.1104 • 10946 Woodside Ave. N, Santee, CA 92071 www.CreationSD.org