The most important thing for homeschool success is to mingle and socialize with other homeschooling families. Being a member of a support group allows you to share resources and information with them as well as to remind you that you are not alone in your home-teaching journey. Your county support groups can offer you families with common goals and interests to yours.
IMPORTANT:Note: Our information includes both Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups and Private School Satellite Programs (PSPs) formerly known as Independent Study Programs (ISPs).
What’s the difference?
The difference is that typically, the Parent-led Homeschool Support Groups are created by families for families to get together for social activities, such as park days, P.E. activities, organized classes, field trips and other “group” types of endeavors. Some require a general membership fee, but most do not. You can usually show up at a park day and meet the parents and children to see how you like the group.
PSPs or ISPs are private schools, usually small in enrollment, but schools nonetheless. Homeschooling families may enroll and pay tuition, in order to receive the administrative support of a school. This includes record-keeping of attendance, grades, testing and transcripts preparation.
To separate them, we have placed the letters PSP or ISP in the title of such schools.
- Oak Knoll Virtual Academy
- Full-time teachers available daily from 8 am – 2:30 pm daily.
- Student access to teachers via phone, in-person visits (pending COVID-19 restrictions) and virtual classrooms Monday through Friday.
- Oak Knoll teachers are experienced and work as a team to support all students.
- Accredited by WASC (Western Association of Schools & Colleges) and NCAA-approved.
- On-campus workshops, small group instruction, lab activities, hybrid models of instruction and learning days (pending COVID-19 restrictions).
Serving students in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino & Kern counties.
For more information: please visit www.okvaonline.org, call 626-914-3961 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Branson Academy – We are a private homeschool satellite program that serves all counties in California. High school, special needs, or brand new to homeschooling? We’ve got you covered. Enjoy experienced support through our K-12 program. We take care of school transfers, maintain your child’s academic reports and transcripts, and help you homeschool successfully. Easy, affordable, flexible. Call Cynthia Simunovich at 831.726.3235 for personal guidance in exploring your home-based educational options.
- Camps for Homeschooling Families – Meets 2 – 3 times each year at Camp de Benneville Pines in the San Bernardino National Forest. Families from all over CA and AZ attend. Our relaxed schedule allows plenty of time to explore the outdoors and get to know other homeschooling families. Fun activities: hiking, archery, crafts, tie dying, nature, games, talent show. Contact information: Email Caroline Quintanilla or call (909) 794-2928.
- Cumorah Homeschool Association – Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario area. Contact information: Call Deena Ortiz at (909) 980-3503.
- Faith Academy of Lake Arrowhead – We are a Christian ministry serving the inland and desert area of Southern California. Our ministry is to support the Christian family’s effort to home school their children. Contact information: Email Bill and Breta Norton or call (909) 337-9341.
- High Desert Homeschoolers [HDH] – Serving families with children of all ages in Victor Valley. HDH offers support and fun opportunities, both structured and informal, in a safe supervised setting. Contact information: Email Karen Taylor.
- High Desert Homeschoolers – High Desert Homeschoolers (HDH) is a group of Victor Valley, California parents who have chosen to educate their children outside of the traditional classroom. Our primary purpose is to offer support for each other and share homeschooling ideas, as well as to provide our children with fun opportunities, both structured and informal, in a safe supervised setting. Contact information: Email Collette Perry.
- Inland Empire AllWaysLearning [IEAWL] – An intentionally fully-inclusive park day/support group for families currently homeschooling or considering it regardless of culture, religion/belief system, or homeschooling style. Weekly park days in Redlands, CA. Contact information: Email Susan Owens.
- Morongo Basin Fun-Schooling – Serving Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms. A free, inclusive support group that meets for fun activities, theme days, field trips and socializing. Contact information: Call Renee Wilcox at (760) 365-0743.
Excellence In Education (EIE)
(EIE) based in Monrovia, serves all of California as the largest homeschool book/game store & resource center in the state, offering an extensive array of products, services and guidance based on many years of experience. Co-Owner Carolyn Forte, has developed a popular curriculum using board games and others to teach. www.excellenceineducation.com/ Ph: (626) 821-0025
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom – Free K-12 Teaching Resources
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom provides free K-12 teaching resources available for free downloading at LearnAboutAg.org (lesson plans, fact sheets, student newspapers and more). California educators can request print copies, shipped at no expense.
The Plant Science lesson plans (http://learnaboutag.org/resources/learn_plant.cfm) help students discover what plants need to grow through hands-on lessons and activities: Fun with the Plant Nutrient Team (K-3), What Do Plants Need to Grow? (2-4), Too Much? Too Little? (5-8), and Chemistry, Fertilizer, and the Environment (8-12). All resources are aligned to current California Standards. The organization also provides an annual teacher conference (July 14-15, 2017) and the Imagine this… Story Writing Contest for grades 3-8 (November 1 annual deadline). Learn more and request free resources at LearnAboutAg.org.
Excellence In Education (EIE) based in Monrovia, serves all of California as the largest homeschool book/game store & resource center in the state, offering an extensive array of products, services and guidance based on many years of experience. www.excellenceineducation.com/ Ph: (626) 821-0025