- Peterson Directed Handwriting for Homeschoolers – The Peterson approach is rhythmic and smooth, providing less strain on hands and developing a lifelong skill in cursive handwriting. It joins vocal activity with handwriting, quickly eliminating the need for the student to see a letter visually, to know how to make it. Peterson is not a trace and copy method, but an actual, fully-engaging handwriting method. The website also offers 10 video lessons to give parents a firm insight into the value of the Peterson method to their child. Visit today and see just how valuable Peterson Directed Handwriting is!
- The Hilbert Museum of California Art – 714 516 5880 • 167 N Atchison St, Orange, CA 92866
Free admission and Free parking. Temporary limited hours are Tues-Fri 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. (closed Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays.) Masks required inside. High-quality art of California history, Nostalgic visions of bygone eras, Bring visual knowledge to your family – FREE, See website for current exhibitions, A variety of artists are represented.
- Are you new to Homeschooling? Solimar Academy Is for You – Solimar Academy, a Premier Independent Study Program for Career and Life Success, is here for you! Solimar provides: Personal Blueprint for your child’s individual Learning Style! • Completely customized curriculum plan! • Personal Coaching • Special Education guidance offered
Solimar students are happy, productive and self-driven, because Solimar guides each family to a plan that makes that happen! Visit http://solimaracademy.com today and let 30-year experienced Director Dawn guide your homeschooling experience!
- Branson Academy – We are a private homeschool satellite program that serves all counties in California. High school, special needs, or brand new to homeschooling? We’ve got you covered. Enjoy experienced support through our K-12 program. We take care of school transfers, maintain your child’s academic reports and transcripts, and help you homeschool successfully. Easy, affordable, flexible. Call Cynthia Simunovich at 831.726.3235 for personal guidance in exploring your home-based educational options.
- EIE Academy – for Unique Classes & the Standard Curriculum – Online for the Fall Semester of 2020-21 at Least
The EIE Academy, a PSP (Private School Satellite Program) aka Umbrella Academy, offers K-12 classes in a variety of subjects both Online and In-person to serve all families in California. Class Schedule see https://excellenceineducationhomeschooling.com/2020-21-class-schedule/ – (626) 821-0025
- American Academy — Homeschooling, Pre-K-High School – American Academy offers Pre-K-12 Christian-based curriculum online or correspondence style, with books and materials sent back and forth in the U.S. Mail. The academic programs are self-regulated and flexible, so the parent simply has to supervise completing assignments on time and properly. Call: 866-605-7772 or Email: email@example.com for more information
- Sing Your Way Through Science with Lyrical Learning! – Lyrical Learning is a fun, powerful way to learn basic science facts. Your child will learn science facts and concepts by singing familiar melodies. The creator took familiar songs like “Oh, Susanna” and wrote new lyrics of science facts, terms or concepts to the melodies. You remember what you sing! See the website today to order or call (800) 761-0906.
- Homespun Learning – This no-cost secular cooperative group is open to active homeschooling families living in or near Yolo County, including the cities of Davis, Dixon, Sacramento, Winters, and Woodland, with most activities taking place in and around Davis. Classical homeschoolers, deschoolers, and unschoolers are welcome.
- Yolo County Homeschoolers – All are welcome to this secular group that encourages positive communications among members. We organize cooperative events, classes, field trips and study programs. Contact information: Email Eve Dunaway or call (530) 753-6464.
- Yolo Homeschoolers Announce and Discuss – This list is for the posting of announcements and discussion of interest to homeschooling families living in or near Yolo county, including Davis, Woodland and West Sacramento. Please post field trips, classes, and community events, as well as any questions you may have about homeschooling in this region. This list is open only to homeschooling families (past, present, and future). We are not devoted to any one homeschooling approach, political platform, religious outlook, or philosophical ideal. Our homeschooling community supports all families, regardless of their personal lifestyle or educational choices in the area of home education. This is a safe space to discuss issues related to our lives as homeschooolers. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and may results in off-list warnings, moderation or expulsion from the group.
- Woodland Area Christian Home Educators [W.A.C.H.E.] – A support group for Christian home educators in Woodland, CA and surrounding areas. Our primary purpose is to support Christian home educators, with an emphasis on private education. As homeschooling families, we work together to provide opportunities for our children to grow, through classes, field trips, monthly support meetings, and many other activities. Contact information: Email Ruth Forney or call (530) 662-5928. email: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/w-a-c-h-e/join
- Pursuing Academic Choices Together (P.A.C.T) http://pact.natomascharter.org/ Grades K-8 Counties Served: Amador, Contra Costa, El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano, Sutter, and Yolo. The Mission of Natomas Charter School’s PACT Program is to provide quality education for children in partnership with the home and community by assisting and helping parents in their effort to maximize the lifelong learning potential of their children. Phone: 916-419-3788
- South Sutter Charter School http://www.sscs.cc/ Grades: K-12 Counties Served: Butte, Colusa, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba. We commit to providing innovative public education environments for students, their parents and teachers by empowering them to collaboratively create learning opportunities which will develop responsible and contributing members of society. Phone: 1-800-979-4436 http://www.ieminc.org/contact_us.html
- Visions in Education Charter School –http://www.viedu.org/explore/counties/yolo/ Visions In Education is a tuition-free public charter school that provides a high quality standards-based education to home school families (K-12) and independent study high school students (9-12), including our new Visions EDGE Online High School Pilot Program. From your enrollment processing through your graduation, we will make every effort to support you and your family’s efforts to succeed.
Farm Fresh to You – Bringing Fresh Organic Produce to Your Door!
by Emerson Sandow
If you live in California, imagine having farm fresh vegetables delivered right to your home every week! In this age of canned reality via the Internet and T.V., and frozen dinners in the microwave, vegetables are one item that can be had un-canned and un-zapped!
FARM FRESH TO YOU is a dream realized by Kathleen Barsotti and Martin Barnes and ultimately their entire family. Kathy and Martin began organically farming in 1976 at their Capay Organic in Yolo County, California.
Farming organic produce was a struggle in the early years, as the regulations for certifying crops as organic were strict, but such natural farming is a passion and belief, not merely a way to make money and the business grew through Farmers’ Markets and supplying some Bay Area gourmet restaurants with fresh, wholesome fruits and vegetables that provided a “live” flavor and potent nutrition to their patrons.
The offspring of Kathy and Martin grew up with Capay Organic and learned the family business, in addition to other endeavors. In 1992, Kathy began FARM FRESH TO YOU, a farm-to-home/office delivery program that brings fresh, organic fruits and vegetables right to customers’ doors! Kathy’s idea grew well and paid off in expanding business and satisfied customers. As a result, in the past 16 years, her sons and their wives have taken over the farm and FARM FRESH TO YOU, continuing the legacy that Kathy and Martin began 40 years ago.
All who appreciate fresh, organic fruits and vegetables are the beneficiaries of their work and you can enjoy this excellent service too! To become a customer, you simply go to the website type in your Zip Code to see if you are in the FARM FRESH TO YOU delivery range and if you are, you then choose the box size, the content mix and frequency of delivery and place your order. It could not be simpler. You are not locked in to a commitment, either. You can change the contents of your box or suspend delivery to suit a change in your schedule or vacation. If you are a regular partaker of organic produce, you know how delicious these vegetables are and the convenience of having them brought right to your door makes ordering from FARM FRESH TO YOU an easy decision for health and great taste! Please visit the website, peruse their wide selection of seasonal fruits and vegetables and get ready for a wonderful organic experience! E.S.
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom – Free K-12 Teaching Resources
California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom provides free K-12 teaching resources for homeschoolers available for free downloading at LearnAboutAg.org (lesson plans, fact sheets, student newspapers and more). California educators can request print copies, shipped at no expense.
The Plant Science lesson plans (http://learnaboutag.org/resources/learn_plant.cfm) help students discover what plants need to grow through hands-on lessons and activities: Fun with the Plant Nutrient Team (K-3), What Do Plants Need to Grow? (2-4), Too Much? Too Little? (5-8), and Chemistry, Fertilizer, and the Environment (8-12). All resources are aligned to current California Standards. The organization also provides an annual teacher conference (July 14-15, 2017) and the Imagine this… Story Writing Contest for grades 3-8 (November 1 annual deadline). Learn more and request free resources at LearnAboutAg.org.